As the third wave of Covid 19 has arrived with a new strain 'Omicron', this time apart from the infection there is also a wave of panic , anxiety and stress in air, which needs to be handled very sensibly.
The concern is more for our children as they are not vaccinated still. But, instead of getting tensed the need of the hour is to be patient and careful, and again bring back to the practice all the precautions which we had taken in the past to protect our children from this virus. So following is the recap of all those important things that are needed to protect our kids -
- Avoid sending kids outside, especially markets, malls, parks, any crowded places.
- Try to keep them busy in indoor activities, like different games, household chores, hobbies which can be pursued at home, family discussions and chatting, video calling with friends and family, so that they also don't get depressed.
3. Present generation of kids are very intelligent and understanding. Parents should peacefully explain them ( possible in kids of around 5 years and above) the need of staying inside, so that they themselves feel their responsibility of staying inside and taking precautions, and not feel pressurised. Don't create panic in their minds but they should feel responsible towards themselves and family , and thus society.
4. Give them a healthy diet, rich in fruits and vegetables, high protein, but low fat and sugars.
5. Use of masks, and frequent hand-washing should be ensured.
6. Drinking lots of warm water and avoiding cold beverages is essential.
7. Regular exercises, at home is needed to keep them physically fit. Parents can motivate them to do meditation and yoga also , along with them .
8. Adequate amount of sleep is must.
9. Get children vaccinated, without delay, as it becomes available for their age.
10. Majority of symptoms of Covid in children are mild to moderate, with rare hospitalisation. So don't panic if there are any symptoms likely of Covid in them, but take prompt and appropriate treatment from your paediatrician.
11. When in doubt reach out to your Paediatrician for further guidance.
Author : Dr Nivedita Kapoor
Consultant Pediatrician and Neonatologist
Latest from Eka.Care
- Now Book Cowin vaccine Slot and Download Covid Vaccination Certificate in just 10 seconds, with Eka.Care App & Whatsapp Bot. Eka.Care will securely keep it in it's encrypted file vault where you can access it 24x7.
- Having trouble in booking a vaccination slot? Eka.Care brings you fastest vaccine booking experience in the country. Just download Eka.Care app and get vaccinated now.