As the third wave of covid is expected to come shortly, here are a few precautionary measures which you can follow to prepare yourself and especially your little ones to face the deadly virus effectively.
Point by Point Guide
- First and foremost is your kawach, your face mask. It is the most essential thing to be worn whenever you step out of the home, also for kids as much as possible. Masks are not recommended for younger kids below 2 years of age. But above that kids should be taken out with masks only. Preferably N95 mask should be worn but cloth masks (double layered ,made of breathable fabric) can be worn.
Important is that mask should be of proper size, even for kids and make sure that it is snugly fitted on the face, properly covering nose, mouth and chin, with no gaps on the sides.
- Avoid touching the front surface of the mask which is a very common habit of the majority. Cautiously wear and remove mask handling from behind , and not front. Older children can be taught this.
Children should be taught not to touch their face, eyes, mouth,nose whenever they are outside, and even at home with a sick person around.
- Best prevention is to avoid taking children outdoors. Public gatherings, parties, playing in groups in parks, market places , malls should be avoided as much as possible.
- Keep visitors in house to minimum.
- Try to keep children away from any sick person who is having cough, cold, fever, diarrhea, in your home and neighborhood , as much as possible.
- Children should be encouraged to do frequent handwashing with soap, properly, and can be given alcohol based sanitisers , especially after touching surfaces handled by all.
If a person is coughing or sneezing at home, he should use tissues to cover the face and then throw them in covered dustbins, followed by handwashing
- A healthy diet, good amount of water intake, regular exercise, and good sleep will always help to fight this infection.
- Try to get the shots of flu vaccine for your children, as the symptoms of flu and covid are similar, and thus if your child is already vaccinated for flu, whenever he or she gets symptoms of Covid, it can be easily distinguished.
- Last, but not the least, whenever a vaccine against Covid for kids will be available , go for it
Author : Dr Nivedita Kapoor
Pediatrician and Neonatologist - MBBS, MD, DCH, CCAI
Book your consultation with Dr. Nivedita Kapoor: https://www.eka.care/dr-nivedita-kapoor
Latest from Eka.Care
- Now Book Cowin vaccine Slot and Download Covid Vaccination Certificate in just 10 seconds, with Eka.Care App & Whatsapp Bot. Eka.Care will securely keep it in it's encrypted file vault where you can access it 24x7.
- Having trouble in booking a vaccination slot? Eka.Care brings you fastest vaccine booking experience in the country. Just download Eka.Care app and get vaccinated now.