As time is passing by and after this second wave, a lot of us have been exposed to Covid 19 and luckily have recovered too. But this recovery has not been smooth for all. For many it has been a long journey back to New normal.
There is a new term now “Long Covid” for such individuals who continue to experience covid-19 symptoms for longer than usual after contracting the initial infection.
Some of the common symptoms of long covid are ongoing fatigue, shortness of breath, profound weakness, memory loss, insomnia, chest pain or dizziness, anxiety and depression,joint or muscle pain, change to smell or taste. These may continue for weeks or months beyond the initial illness.
Keeping this in mind following are a few tips to recover well and early once you have become negative :
- Eat light and eat well. This is most important as many have low energy levels and still fragile digestive systems. So avoid non-vegetarian and deep fried items. Stick to basic meals prepared in low oil. Eat lots of fruits and green vegetables. Avoid high protein diets. Diet should be carbohydrate rich. Avoid Alcohol and smoking.
- Don't be in a hurry to resume work. Your body is the most important thing. Give it adequate time to recuperate.
- Continue multivitamins as per your doctor's advice. Continue other medications too as advised by your doctor.
- Do mild breathing exercises. Pranayam is especially helpful. You can also inflate balloons or do spirometry exercises. Pulmonary physiotherapy may also be required in some cases.
- Do regular meditation and de-stress yourself. Enjoy whatever you like be it music or anything else. Try not to take undue stress and anxiety and be kind to yourself during recovery.
Fatigue and weakness may persist. Focus on taking lots of fluids. Fruit juices, coconut juice, soups etc are helpful.
- Don’t stop doing things that make you feel breathless. If you stop using your muscles, they’ll get weaker, which can make you more breathless when you try to use them. Try to break tasks which feel difficult down into smaller chunks, and alternate easier and harder activities. If breathlessness persists, consult your doctor.
- Get your covid vaccination after 3 months of recovering from covid if not taken yet. Also get vaccination done for other diseases like influenza, pneumococcal, typhoid, hepatitis B and A , as any other infection of these kinds after covid-19 can cause havoc on the body.
- Continue following covid appropriate behaviour even if you get vaccinated as there have been sporadic cases of reinfection by Covid-19, still being reported.
- Stay positive and follow a disciplined sleep and meal routine. Stay Active- regular movement helps release endorphins which shall keep your mood in good stead.
- Connect frequently with Family and friends, this will make you feel connected, strong and happier.
Be on the look out of anything out of normal. If you’re worried about your symptoms, or if they are getting worse, better consult your doctor. It's important to take care of one’s health post covid-19 to avoid any further complications or health hazards and issues that crop up should not be ignored.
Last but not the least, continue following covid appropriate behaviour (wearing mask, washing hands, avoiding crowded places, maintaining social distancing) at all times!!!
Latest from Eka.Care
- Now Book Cowin vaccine Slot and Download Covid Vaccination Certificate in just 10 seconds, with Eka.Care App & Whatsapp Bot. Eka.Care will securely keep it in it's encrypted file vault where you can access it 24x7.
- Having trouble in booking a vaccination slot? Eka.Care brings you fastest vaccine booking experience in the country. Just download Eka.Care app and get vaccinated now.